Think of an Italian yeast-based bread served as an appetizer which can also be served as a breakfast! We are talking about Focaccia. It is the most famous of all Italian breads. Any Italian house hold or restaurant serves focaccia. Normally it is simple, plain but delicious and can be topped with rosemary and sea salt. But with the wind of variety and pressure of always proposing something new, chefs are making or making it more interesting with toppings like olives, tomatoes, caramelised onions and so on.
At a sandwich bar, a focaccia can also be topped with all sorts of cold cuts and grilled vegetables. The main difference from pizza dough is the amount of yeast used to make the dough. It is quite less when making a pizza as you wouldn’t want it to rise much.
After we shape the focaccia, the most important thing is to make little holes on the surface with our fingertips. The prettiness of the bread comes from the dotted look and also the olive oil and water will store within the impressions and get soaked as we’ll sprinkle over before baking.
We need a very hot oven for a nicely baked focaccia, so fire it up at least half an hour before you are ready to bake. If you want your focaccia a step closer to the ones baked in professional ovens you can use a pizza stone. This way it will bake quicker with a nice crust on the bottom and won’t be dry inside.
- Flour – 1000gm
- Salt – 10gm
- Yeast – 40 gm
- Fresh Rosemary- 40 gm
- Sun Dried tomato- 50 gm
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 10 tbsp
- Sea Salt – 10 gm
- Put flour ,salt and yeast in the dough machine and mix together.
- Strip the leaves of half the rosemary stalks and chop finely.
- Add to the flour with the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir in 7tbsp of oil and 400 ml of water till it forms a soft but not sticky dough.
- Put the dough in a bowl and wrap it.
- When it’s size doubles take it out and knead it for few minutes.
- Then cut it into 15 pieces.
- On a light floured surface ,roll each out into a oval shape.
- Put the roll into a lightly oiled baking tray and put it for proving not less than 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 degree top temperature and 200 degrees below temperature.
- Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes till it’s golden brown. Serve warm with a little more olive oil.