I have been an ardent fan of Falafel ever since I visited Abu Dhabi. When you are in a Gulf country, travelling to places via road or sight seeing, you will find several kiosks or food trucks selling these falafels with some pita breads, hummus and various Arabic pickles. There was a time when I was extremely conscious, I lived solely on a diet of ‘baked‘ falafel and fatoush salads. I actually reduced some 5 kgs that time although it was a tough call to stay vegetarian for 15-20 days.
Falafel is authentically made with chick peas which is formed into a ball or patty and then fried. Served as it is as a snack or in a pita as a meal. It is a food now found all over the world and loved by many. There are many variations available where people use green peas, fava beans or some other vegetables to make falafels.
- Chick peas 1kg
- Garlic 50 gm
- Leeks 50 gm
- Greens chilly 5 pcs
- Coriander powder 20 gm
- Parsley flat 150 gm
- Onion-350 gm
- Cumin (Jeera) powder 20 gm
- Baking powder 4 tsp
- Coriander 150 gm
- Water 350 gm
- Soak 1kg of chickpeas overnight in 350 gm of water
- Next morning wash the chick peas with water and them keep aside
- Now roughly chop garlic, leeks, green chilly, parsley, onion, coriander and add it to the washed chickpeas
- Now pass the mixture into a mincing machine, follow this procedure 3 times till fine course mixture is prepared
- Now add the cumin powder ,coriander powder, salt, baking soda to the minced mixture
- Add little water (1 tsp approx) to the mixture for smooth texture
- Now scoop it out with falafel scooper (you can buy it on ebay)
- If you don’t have a falafel scooper then you can directly shape it with your hands and then deep fry it till golden brown.
- Serve with hummus.