Holidays is happiness, travelling and of course having different types of food ! When I think about food in holiday, it always rekindles my childhood memories. I am sure, we all have some specific childhood memories which makes us smile remembering them. I used to visit my grand mother (thammi) every month during holidays. I really love her and the delicious food she cooked for us, specially the chicken curry. That curry was so yummy and I always demanded more and more of that… whenever ever Anee is in thammi’s house. .. the chicken curry is a must have in the menu. I really like the authentic style of cooking , my grand mom used to follow. She used coconut paste in that curry which made it all the more different from others. Though she cooked “Desi chiken” Country chicken, the hard one but the meat used to be so tender. I always wondered how, until few years back, when kitchen become one of my favourite battle field, apart from the judicial court, where i never want to loose the case, i mastered the art of cooking the same dish and the learnt that the secret lies on the way she cook. It’s better to cook desi chicken one day before or in a slow heat for an hour. and most importantly there has to be love added to the recipe!
- Desi chicken – 1 ( 6 pieces )
- Chopped onion – 1/2 cup
- Onion paste – 3 table spoon
- Garlic paste – 1 table spoon
- Ginger paste – 1.5 table spoon
- Hot spice powder – 1.5 tea spoon
- Chili powder – 2 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 2 table spoon.
- Coconut paste – 2 table spoon.
- Ghee – 2 table spoon.
- Oil – 3 table spoon .
- Lemon juice – 1 table spoon.
- Youghrt – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 tea spoon.
- Salt – as required
- Hot water – 4 cup
- Clean chiken properly and merinate with lemon/ Youghrt / 1 tea spoon chili powder / salt/ 1 table spoon onion paste/ 1/2 table spoon garlic and ginger paste .. and let it rest for 30 min.
- Take a pan, heat oil and fry chopped onion until golden.
- Then put onion/ garlic/ ginger paste, then add all powdered spice with 1/3 cup water.
- Fry till all water absorbed, Add sugar.
- Now add marinated chicken on the spice, mix well and add coconut paste. Put hot water and salt. Cook for 1 hour in a slow heat.
- Add ghee before finish.
- Serve hot with rice, naan or bread.