Kolkata is known to have India’s best wraps and rolls. You will find small kiosks on the streets of Kolkata which make these egg and chicken rolls. A few of them have also mastered the veg-roll which is made with paneer(cottage cheese).
A simple paratha is egg wrapped and then rolled with chicken, onion-cucumber mixture and a number of sauces to choose from makes it heavenly. Price? Don’t even compare with the Frankies available in other parts of the country where they are half the thickness and are priced at Rs. 90 and above whereas the divine rolls of Kolkata starts from Rs. 45 or above.
When I used to stay in Kolkata, as a kid I used to go to this particular kiosk with my dad and get my rolls. Even when on a date, I used to be ‘kiosk-loyalist’ and now that I am a father, I take my daughter to get rolls from the same kiosk.
I really feel that Kolkata Egg rolls are the best and this is not a biased opinion but an honest judgment from a Chef who loves food.
INGREDIENTS for paratha :
- Maida / Refined flour: 200 gms
- Salt: 1/2 gm
- Ghee/ Vegetable fat/ Oil: 1 tbsp
- Water: required to make a semi-tight dough
- Oil: as required for shallow fry
INGREDIENTS for Chicken filling :
If you have any left over chicken from lunch / dinner, you can shred them to use to make the mixture or use raw chicken
- Egg: 3 nos
- Shredded chicken: 250 gms
- Onion shredded : 100 gms
- Cucumber shredded : 100 gms
- Carrot shredded : 100 gms
- Lemon juice : 1 tbsp
- Chat masala : 1 tsp
- Pepper powder : 1 tsp
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Mustard sauce (kasundi) : 1 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup : 1 tbsp
- Chili sauce : 1 tbsp (optional)
METHOD for Paratha :
- Take maida/ Refined flour in a bowl
- Add salt and the ghee/fat in it and rub thoroughly.
- Add water as much required and make a semi -hard dough.
- Divide the dough into small pieces each weighing 25 gms (approx)
- Roll the dough flat and round and add some ghee/ fat on the flat round dough and spread it well.
- Sprinkle flour and then fold the round flat dough into half and again spread fat and flour on it as explained before and fold into quarter.
- Keep these rolled-folded dough in fridge for 30 mins.
- Shape the dough into round ball and then roll it into round paratha 7-8 inch diameter
- Heat oil in griddle and fry the paratha till half done both side and semi cooked.
METHOD for the chicken mixture:
- Heat oil in pan. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook well.
- Add the turmeric powder, chili powder in it and saute for few seconds.
- Add the chicken and saute in slow flame to cook the chicken yet it remains soft.
METHOD for making the roll:
- Beat egg with little salt and pepper powder.
- Take a pan and heat it with a spoon of oil.
- Cook the half cooked paratha and then pour egg (1/2 of one egg) on the paratha.
- Let the egg cook and solidify on the paratha.
- Turn the paratha upside down and let the egg gets fully cooked.
- Take the paratha off the flame.
- Place the egg side upwards and add chicken and other shredded vegetables in the middle of the paratha.
- Sprinkle chaat masala, salt, pepper powder on top.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and other sauces sparingly.
- Roll the paratha into a thick roll.
- Wrap one side up with butter paper and serve immediately or put toothpick to secure the roll, then slice into small bite size and serve.
- Tasty egg-chicken kathi rolls from Kolkata ready to win your heart.