Baghara baingan is one of the popular Indian cuisine eggplant curry of Hyderabad. It is also used as a side dish with the Hyderabadi biryani.
- 1/2 kg round eggplant
- 100 gms sesame seeds
- 50 gms ground nut
- 50 gms coconut powder
- 1 tbsp jeera powder
- 1 tbsp dhania powder
- 1 cup of tamarind pulp
- 2 onions
- 1/2 tsp zeera
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp kalonji seeds(nigella)
- A pinch of methi seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Oil to fry
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Dry roast and grind sesame, ground nut, coconut powder, jeera powder and dhania powder.
- Fry onions till it turns transparent pink and grind.
- Wash eggplant, make 4 slits in the egg plant without removing the stem.
- Shallow fry egg plant and keep aside.
- In a vessel heat oil, add jeera, mustard seeds, kalonji seeds and methi. Now add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, turmeric, red chilli powder and mix well.
- Add the ground masala and onions, keep stirring for 5-7 min.
- Add 1 glass of water and cook . Let it boil for 5 min
- Now add the eggplant and tamarind pulp (can also add water in tamarind pulp) and cover and cook well on slow flame for 10 min. Add water according to the consistency required. Let it boil for another 3-4 min and remove from fire.
- Serve with roti